What is High Mileage for a Motorcycle?
If you’re searching for that perfect used bike around Atlanta, you might be wondering, “What is considered high mileage for a motorcycle?” The answer varies depending on the size of the motorcycle. For small sports bikes, 20,000 to 30,000 is on the high side. For larger bikes, 50,000 miles and up is considered high motorcycle mileage. But before you write off any models, consider that a properly maintained bike can last well past 100,000 miles! That’s why it’s important to think about the whole package, rather than motorcycle mileage alone.
What is the Average Annual Mileage for a Motorcycle?
While the average annual mileage of a car ranges between 10,000 to 15,000 miles, motorcycles spend much less time on the Conyers roads. In fact, the average annual mileage for a motorcycle is around 3,000 miles. And while they still get plenty of wear and tear from all those miles, the right maintenance schedule can keep motorcycles running like a dream.
Motorcycle Mileage vs. Condition
If you’ve found a high-mileage bike that catches your eye, there’s no harm in taking a closer look. Mileage is just one part of the equation. How can you tell if your high-mileage bike is still in good condition?
- Check the service record for maintenance history.
- Take it for a test ride to see how it performs.
- Look for defects like damage and corrosion.
- Get a Vehicle History Report if possible.
- Have it professionally inspected by a knowledgeable tech.
How Do I Keep My Bike in Good Condition?
Once you’ve found your bike, it’s well worth your time to maintain it. Not only will this help prevent future problems from occurring, but it will help you keep tabs on any small changes you may miss from month to month. Be sure to ask our service department about the following:
- Air filter checks: Your air filter keeps dirt and debris from muddying up your engine, so regular checks and replacements are a must.
- Final drive check: Keep your bike running for the long haul by simply checking your final drive at the service department regularly.
- Coolant check: Replace your coolant with the right formula at the right intervals, and you’ll enjoy smooth rides for the long road ahead.
Find Out More with Killer Creek Harley-Davidson
Whether you want a test ride in a Harley-Davidson or a thorough inspection at our service department, the team at Killer Creek Harley-Davidson is here to help you get back on the road in the bike of your dreams. Contact us to get started!